Monday, February 22, 2010

The Journey Home. February 19, 2010

Maryland, Snowy, Miserable but Beautifully White
Lots of Snow when I entered West Virginia still...

I didn't hear my alarm go off.

I woke up and blinked at the alarm clock at the side of the bed, seemed so weird to be in Ana's house without her there, 3:34 am... wow... its late! I had planned to leave earlier than that! I jumped out of bed stumbling with sleepyness and stretched..WAKE UP SARAH LEIGH!!! I had packed everything the night before, so all I had to do was wash my teeth, brush my face, grab my purse and a couple other items, and say goodye to the little yellow house.

After I climbed in my car I consulted my maps to be sure of where I was headed, then as I pulled out onto the little windy road, I prayed for protection over me and my car, that the ride home would be a smooth one.

The ride was great, until I was in Maryland, and falling alseep so bad, about 4:00 am that I thought I might find a McDonalds and sleep a bit, when I pulled off the highway onto the ramp, I discovered that there was a ton of snow on the road, and the wind was blowing the snow like a frozen hurricane on that mountainside! I turned around and headed back to the highway, where the roads were alittle clearer. After a few close calls, and white outs, I drove as carefully as I could until I saw the welcoming sign of a McDonalds, and pulled off. Thankfully finding the bathroom I freshened up a little, and was contemplating getting some breakfast when a dude walks into the bathroom shouting.. "hello!" Just as quickly his eyes widened and he turned around and walked out again. I laughed to myself. When I went out he was seated at the closest table and he apologized. I told him it was ok, he was just going to do some cleaning. We chatted for awhile, then he got me a couple sausage egg breakfast wraps. I found a nice little booth that was kinda hidden, and fell asleep for about a half hour. I woke up, it was pretty light out, should I take off again? I did, and before too long I had entered West Virginia, the snow tapered off, and the sun came out, It was turning out to be a beautiful day!

The day passed quickly, I sang, stopped whenever I felt like it to visit walmart. At one walmart I decided, after struggling to see out of my windshield that I was going to buy some new windshield wipers, and put them on my car. I was shivering in the cold trying to figure out how in the world you get the crazy things off when a really nice man came up and helped me figure it out. He was tall, with red hair, balding just a bit. After he left I managed to get the other one on, and was on my way again! Man was it cold out there tho!! Whew!

I was almost to Warsaw Indiana, when I get a call from my little big brother, Steve, "Can you come give me a jump??? Hum... I'll give ya a call when I get close to home, and see if you still need one ok?" I was in Warsaw Indiana, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel when my little sister told me on the phone that mom and dad might be at Applebees, and that my little brother was making me supper so I could eat when I got home. I stopped and drove around the parking lot of applebees tho, looking for mom and dad's van, no such luck, they were prolly at walmart or something having a blast shopping, and I was exhausted, I kept heading toward home. I stopped at Steve's, and gave him a jump, gave him and Tom big hugs.. felt so good to be home.

When I got home the kids were so happy to see me, and I was so happy to see them, they helped me pull everything out of my car, it was wonderful to get unpacked. We ate supper of Macaroni and Cheese.. :-D Which my brothers burned the cheese sauce to the first time around, and I had to show them how to use velveeta to make it again lol... I love my little brothers. Somewhere in there I remember falling alseep on the couch amidst my family talking around me, then nothing... I was out. I was HOME.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Leigh! What an awesome trip home you had--apart from the snow that is, so many adventures! How sweet it was for Noah to make you dinner. I'm so glad you got home safely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i should clarify :-) aaron was sweet enough to make my supper when i got home :-)

    ReplyDelete