Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lunch at the One Room School

Today I went to a small one room Amish school house... it was so neat, so small, only a handful of children, the teachers were not much older than the students there! My friend and I walked in, the children were all at thier desks having lunch, so we parked ourselves in the back, on a handmade wooden bench, the students were eating silently, the little ones shyly peeking back at us, wondering what we were doing there, but too shy to talk. One little girl had a baggie of cheetos, she was determined to share with each and every teacher, and schoolmate there, we watched as she made her way from person to person handing two or three of them to each person. When she reached the one teacher, the teacher reached into her lunch pail, and pulled out a homemade granola bar, she asked her, do you like granola bars? when the little girl nodded, she gave her the bar. I watched her go back to her seat, and begin to eat the chocolate chips that had fallen off the granola bar in the baggie, a minute later I was wondering what she was doing, cuz she place the whole granola bar back into the baggie. Then I noticed... all the tiny chocolate bits were gone off the top... lol she had eaten every bit of chocolate! and left the actual granola part! lol. Soon everyone finished eating, and one by one they drifted outdoors.... my guess to play games, in the bitter winter wind. One of the teachers commented to us after the kids had gone outside.... well!!! I'd say that was the quietest lunch we've EVER had!

No comments:

Post a Comment